Navigation

Welcome to my blog. I write mostly about travel and in particular my love of Disney, with a few tidbits such as musings about movies or theater thrown in for good measure. I have stories dating all the way back to 1997 so be sure to explore! I don't post regularly, so if you want updates be sure to join and follow this blog (links below). Feel free to share, and if you want you can also click the Facebook or Twitter links below. You can also follow me on twitter. And be sure to comment letting me know what you think!

Friday, June 8, 2012

Kenebunkport Maine - 2002 - Whale Watching

Whale Watching
We spent one morning of our Maine vacation going on a Whale Watching Cruise. After boarding Nick's Chance, while on our way out to sea, the captain let it be known that there weren't very many whales and we shouldn't expect much. Lovely.
It was a lovely day and the trip turned into a terrific boat ride. We even saw some dolphins briefly (too briefely for me to even get any pictures), but no whales in site. Well, we did see what looked like a whale spout way off in the distance once, but when we got there the whale had sounded and we didn't see any more of him.
After about an hour and a half, the novelty had warn off and we all got a bit bored...

The captain had decided to call it a day and head in when we saw a spout not far from us. We headed over to where the whale was and waited a few minutes. Then, right below us we could see him coming up. At first I thought it was some kind of small white whale, because what I saw was about 20 feet long and white. Then I realized that what I had seen was the white flipper of a humpback whale. What a site! The whale parked about 30 feet away from us, trumpeting occasionally and lazily rolling over and over, slapping his huge flipper on the water. Finally, after about 15 minutes of this show, he raised his tail as if to say good-bye and disappeared. It was, by far, the most spetacular animal I've ever seen in the wild. And it was something we will all remember for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment